I get emailed all the time by people who are wanting to start their own website or blog, but they just don’t know where to start. There are books and guides all over the web that talk about the popularity of certain subjects, and whether or not something can be “monetized” or not.
My view varies a little from the popular “pick something you can make money with” concept.
Because in my 10 years of experience online, if you aren’t passionate about a topic, you aren’t going to feel motivated by it, and sooner or later, its going to fizzle out.
--->Real quick - before I continue - I put together a special checklist for you. It will help you grow long-term, regular traffic to your website. Enter your email below and I'll send it over right now!
YOU HAVE TO PICK SOMETHING YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT
Let me say that again
PICK SOMETHING YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can’t chase money, you gotta chase what you love and the money will follow.
If you chase your interest, your loves, your passions… 9 times out of 10, there are going to be a lot of people out there, that share your love or passion (long as you don’t get TOO specific, which I’ll go into in more detail below).
So it is with blogs or websites.
Some may say “how on earth are you going to monetize a blog about cute dog pictures?” There are websites making thousands of dollars a month with the sale of dog accessories, “how to train your dog” ebooks, “how to photograph your dog” courses, etc.
There are very few topics or categories that cannot be monetized in some way.
Aside from picking a topic that you are not interested in, the only other possible mistake you could make, is by making your blog too overly specific. If you love pugs who do dog tricks, I would still focus your blog on the general dog category. You can still post about pugs who do tricks, but you aren’t limiting yourself, or your readership to the small niche of people who only like pugs who do dog tricks.
On the flip side, you also don’t want to go too broad, as you might create too much competition for yourself, or you might find your readers becoming disinterested in the wide variety of topics that you post.
So to summarize:
- PICK SOMETHING YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT
- Don’t get too specific with the title of your blog
- Don’t make it so broad that people lose interest
Here are 57 ideas for blog topics, to get the creative juices flowing:
- Self help
- Natural Healing
- Going Green / Recycling
- Animals or Pets
- Travelling on a budget
- Learning foreign languages
- Home Decorating
- Writing / Ghostwriting
- Coaching or Personal/Professional Development
- Food or Recipes
- Dating Tips
- Interpersonal communication for couples/marriages
- Weight Loss
- DIY and crafting
- Home Improvement
- Self Defense
- General Sports
- Being a mom/dad and raising a family
- Farming or self sustaining living
- Healthy eating
- Muscle/body building
- Video games
- Raising entrepreneurial kids and teenagers
- Social Media
- Self Employment, quitting your “day” job
- Vegan / Vegetarian lifestyles
- Eating organic
- Music or bands
- Playing a specific instrument
- Wine or beer connoisseur
- Ocean sports
- Reviewing places to live around the world
- World cultures
- Cars and motorcycles
- Apartment / Urban living
- Personal finance/money management
- Getting out of debt
- Following your passions in life
- Growing a small business
- Living as adults without children
- Living single and loving it
- Raising children with special needs
- Cafe or restaurant reviewer
- Secret shopper/reviewer
- Reviewing mobile apps
- Review, share and promote non for profit organizations
- Extreme adventures
I'd be grateful if you would share it with others who may find it valuable. Thank you!